Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Roni-Sue's Chocolates - Manhattan

2+2 = 5
Roni-Sue is a small chocolate shop a few stalls down from Shopsin's in the Essex Market. They have, using some kind of magic-realism, fused two disparate elements into a delicious chimera. I am referring to what we insiders call "Pig-Candy." It is crispy, salty bacon, deep-dipped in chocolate. What kind of a sick mind would associate these, much less retreat to their laboratory to meld them? Roni-Sue, of course. Thank goodness she did.


Poured from the bag onto a plate, it resembled nothing less than a Frank Gehry building in miniature. Click on this pick for the full effect. I bit into the first piece with trepidation. I had no idea what to expect. A few chews in and the genius of it became apparent. It is chocolately, salty and fatty in equal measure. It is the best of both ingredients, that together become more in their pairing.
Manhattan

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

2 comments:

  1. Ok.. I am a traditional, boring, resistent to change etc etc penguin... so savory and sweet doesn't create fireworks for me.

    Don't get me wrong.. it wasn't repulsive or anything close to that. It was pretty tasty. It's just not something I would buy out of craving but rather for the novelty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, why did you keep asking for more bites, then, huh, why?

    ReplyDelete