Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sacha Finkelsztajn - Paris

Cheesecake on Rue de Rosiers
As I have explained in previous posts, I am a cheesecake expert. I say that with a sly smile - what it means, really, is that I make one that I think is tops. My girlfriend agrees with me (I think) but she is biased, clearly. Anyway, I'm particular about cheesecake - I prefer the heavy over the light, the sweet over the bland, the slow-bake over the pour-and-chill. Throw in a graham cracker crust while you're at it. I've been to Berko - their version is super-light but it's pretty good. Someone commented on the Berko post that I should try the version at Sacha Finkelsztajn, so off I went. When I walked in, I got a good vibe. The place was buzzing and everything looked really, really good.


I took one look at the cheesecake and it looked just like the kid's (that's me - I'm the kid.) Now, trying to figure out how to actually buy a slice was a whole other story. What initially felt like buzz when I entered the place began to feel like chaos. I got bumped, jostled and ignored by patrons and employees alike. After 15 minutes or so, I got a slice handed to me in a bag only to be put in another line for the honor of paying. Part of the charm, I guess. Worst part is, the cheesecake wasn't worth the fuss. The heavy texture was right but I found it on the bland side and a bit dry. Where is that first bite creamy, sweet, intense "holy shit this is good" moment? I know, I know, I'm going to have to make mine, set-up a stand and sling it by the slice to back up my talk.
4th Arondissement
Paris

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

6 comments:

  1. OOooo.. the cheesecake critic is in the house!!

    When are you setting up a stand babe? When? Where babe? Where? In Paris???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not setting up nothing, nowhere!! It's easier to be a critic, Pinguino.

    Babe, how come you didn't back me up on how good my cheesecake is? Huh? How come babe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awh, sorry to hear that it wasn't worth the fuss. I'm not a fan of cheesecake though. Actually, to be honest, I never gave it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No offense Sharon, but my momma told me not to trust anyone who doesn't like cheesecake...

    (just teasing)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I read that you were the cheesecake expert, I was expecting to read that you had found the best cheesecake in paris but apparently not...where would you go then? (mine favorite cheesecake so far is in london, in a beigel shop on brick lane...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Celine - I haven't really found one in Paris that I like. I like em heavy and moist. I'm sure there has to be a good one here in Paris somewhere. I like your blog - though my French ability is pretty inferior, so I'm not sure I understand all that you guys are saying. How has your view of Paris changed since spending time in London?

    ReplyDelete