Tuesday, February 17, 2009

La Perla - Paris

Mexican in the City of Light
I know, I hear you - who goes to Paris to eat Mexican food? Thing is, I've been here for months eating French food 2-3 meals a day. Why not try something a little different? Besides, maybe I can speak a bit of Spanish, a language I'm considerably better at than French, scary as that is since my Spanish is far from good.


I was worried as soon as I got inside the place. First of all, samba music was playing. Not mariachi, not tejano, but samba! Ok, settle down - you're overreacting. Lemme go shout at my homies in the kitchen "Oye macho, que onda?" Nothing came back at me but puzzled looks. I know my Mexican slang is outdated, but not that much. Are these guys Mexican or Sri Lankan? I couldn't tell. You know when your gut tells you something but your brain overrides it? Yep, this is one of those deals.
Doubling-down on my poor judgment I ordered mole enchiladas. Sure, why not order something notoriously difficult to make well? When it arrived I perked up - it looked pretty good. First, a bite of beans - bad, really bad. Undercooked and watery. I was resigned to my fate. Next, a bite of the enchiladas. Interesting - not bad tasting - just not how they should taste. They were strangely sweet - as if milk chocolate had been used in the mole sauce. Not surprisingly, the tortillas were not right either. Had I been blindfolded I would've guessed I was eating some type of chocolate crepe with an unknown meat. To be missed, unless you're there to drink margaritas. They couldn't screw that up, right?
4th Arondissement
Paris

Related Posts by Category



Widget by Gagan

5 comments:

  1. Poor babe... your meal sounds disastrous! So are you gonna stick to French food? I doubt it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will now go back to French food for a lil while! Next three posts are going to be quitesentially French, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog while browsing for food blogs about Paris. I really like it! I feel the same about the food in La Perla, but rest assured I've tasted the margaritas and they are better than the food! If you're looking for mexican there's a really nice one on the Rue Saint Andre des Artes, the name of which escapes me right now but it's good!
    PS I am paying a visit to Bagel Toms this week based on your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @LaLaLa - I'm glad you enjoy the blog. Good to hear the drinks at La Perla are good. I will put it on my "try the drinks" list since I've already removed it from my "eat" list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to La Perla for dinner tonight...the margaritas are not that great either, and are 9 euro. I had the burrito, which was okay, but definitely not worth the 10 euro either. Though, I do live in California/Mexico, so perhaps I should just stick with the $1 tacos and margaritas there...

    ReplyDelete